What is keto diet?
Keto Diet is a diet that was used in the early last century to treat epilepsy in children. Later, scientists noticed the effect of this diet on weight loss very effectively and quickly.
Keto is a diet that provides the body with energy through fat rather than carbohydrates. Where the nutritional values are: 70-80% fats, 20-25 proteins, 5-10 carbohydrates, the majority of fats are from the body’s need for calories instead of carbohydrates.
These molecules are stored in the liver as an alternative energy source. When the primary source of energy, glucose and insulin, does not exist, these molecules are burned as an alternative energy source.
- Ketones are produced when you eat a small amount of carbohydrates. These molecules are distributed and analyzed in blood sugar, and the extra protein is converted to blood sugar.
- This is produced and stored these ketones in the liver are sources of fat It is then used as a fuel throughout the body, including the brain.
- As we know, the brain is a hungry device and consumes a lot of energy every day, and it cannot work on fats directly, but it can only work on glucose or ketones
- As you know, the brain is a hungry device and consumes a lot of energy every day, and it cannot work on fats directly, but it can only work on glucose or ketones.
How the ketogenic system works in the body?
- Through ketogenic nutrition and when replacing the primary energy source that the body relies on, glucose, with a source of fat, the body at this stage enters into a condition called ketosis or ketosis, in which case the body becomes a machine for burning fat.
- So the body consumes energy from fat instead of glucose and insulin extracted from carbohydrates.
- At this stage, fat is burned continuously throughout the day, 24 hours a day, 7 days a week.
- As it is known, every small movement made by the body needs energy and every mental activity requires energy, even when sleeping the body needs energy! In addition, insulin levels become very low.
- And it becomes very easy to burn fat from the stock in the body, this thing is very excellent especially for people who have excess fat in the body, or for people who want to lose weight effectively.
Also worth noting when following this diet is the person does not feel hungry! Unlike other diets like low-fat and low-calorie diets.Read:Wrong dietary habits impede your diet
When does the ketosis stage occur?
Nice question, this stage occurs when the level of glucose and insulin in the body decreases and this happens as a result of two options:
- The first in the fasting stage: When the amount of carbohydrates decreases naturally and without calculating the amount of carbohydrates.
- The second is when reducing carbohydrates and increasing fat in the diet: At this stage, the body burns fat through ketones in the liver, as we explained earlier.
Summary: A person cannot fast for long periods. When eating the first meal, the body returns to its state, but when the body is deliberately urged to enter the ketos stage
People who are not recommended to follow a ketogenic diet or a low-carb diet:
There are many rumors and misunderstandings about Keto Diet in terms of safety, but it is safe for most people, except that there are cases that require attention and they are the following:
- People with type one diabetes who take insulin.
- People with high blood pressure who are taking blood pressure medications.
- Lactating and pregnant women.
It should be noted that these cases can follow the keto and are not prevented from that, but they require them to pay great attention to avoid any problems. Therefore it is advised to consult a specialist before doing this.Read:Different types of Diet
Read also: The best types of diet to lose weight
Read also: Different types of Diet
Here is a list of forbidden foods in keto to avoid them completely:
a. Grains and added sugars
This group of foods should be avoided, because all these foods contain a large percentage of carbohydrates, either in the form of pills or added sugars. If you eat these foods your body will use them to provide energy for your glucose cells instead of using fat. This will prevent getting into ketosis and reaping the benefits of the keto diet.
- black wheat
- Couscous or couscous
- Cakes or rye bread
- All kinds of cereals (except those that contain a small percentage of carbohydrates)
- All kinds of whole grains
- Loose materials or starch and instant powders
Did you know that many types of processed meats contain added sugars? We need to make sure to avoid spiced or prepared meat or prepared with ingredients or foods forbidden in keto.Read:15 food useful for losing weight and burning fat, get to know them
- Processed meat
- Vienna Hot Dog
- Minced meat with soy
- Baked meat
- Ready-processed meat
Treated products and products that contain unhealthy additives and are prohibited in keto.
In this large category we need to make sure to avoid anything that has undergone a multi-step treatment, or that contains unwanted additions to the keto.
Is Pepsi Diet allowed in the keto diet
Have you ever asked a day while following a keto diet, is it permissible to eat soft diet drinks such as (Pepsi Diet, Cola Diet), and will it affect your ketosis status or get you out of it?
Let me tell you the answer simply, which is yes, it will slow down the state of ketosis and may get you out of it, and the reason behind this is because it contains sugar substitutes that may increase insulin levels.
If you are familiar with the basics of keto, the answer will be clear to you, and one of the goals of keto is to reduce insulin levels.
Also, anything that increases insulin levels, such as sugar or refined carbohydrates, will stop or slow down the keto, regardless of other problems associated with eating these substances.
What types of cheese are allowed in Keto Diet and how do you choose them?
If you are a dieter of the keto diet, you may be wondering about cheese, which is better and which is appropriate for keto, and how do I choose the best option so that it does not conflict with the keto diet.
There are hundreds of types of cheeses. This may make you feel confused when you start eating cheese or choose it when going shopping.