The Dutch government said on Monday it is extending until March 2 its night-time coronavirus curfew, the introduction of which last month sparked the country’s worst riots in four decades.
The 9pm to 4:30am (2000-0330 GMT) curfew, the first in the Netherlands since World War II, had been due to end on Wednesday, but Prime Minister Mark Rutte had warned that it was likely to be prolonged.
“The curfew will be extended… This is necessary because new, more contagious variants of the coronavirus are gaining ground in the Netherlands,” the government said in a statement after a cabinet meeting.Read:Toddlers who use touchscreens may be more distractible
More than 95 percent of Dutch people were obeying the curfew, which was introduced on January 23 along with a limit on visitors restricted to one person per household per day and ban on flights from some countries, the government said.
The Dutch government last week extended other restrictions until March 2 including the closure of bars, restaurants and non-essential shops, although most primary schools reopened on Monday.
Three days of unrest erupted after the curfew began, with police using water cannon and tear gas against rioters in Amsterdam, Rotterdam, The Hague, Eindhoven and other cities.
More than 400 people were arrested.
One minister called the rioters “scum”, while Prime Minister Mark Rutte called them “criminals” and not genuine protesters.Read:Vitamin E | Healthy UNH
Follow the latest news on the coronavirus (COVID-19) outbreak
© 2021 AFP
Read:Europe coronavirus deaths surge past 300,000
Netherlands extends coronavirus curfew to March 2 (2021, February 8)
retrieved 8 February 2021
This document is subject to copyright. Apart from any fair dealing for the purpose of private study or research, no
part may be reproduced without the written permission. The content is provided for information purposes only.