A man is warning people against using headphones while falling asleep after health care workers had to remove a wireless earbud from his esophagus.
Worcester resident Brad Gauthier, who detailed his bizarre experience in a Facebook post, went to bed Monday listening to music. He woke up Tuesday, shoveled snow for about an hour, and then went inside to take a sip of water. But the liquid wouldn’t go down, and he had to lean over to drain it from his throat.
Gauthier also noticed he was missing one of his two wireless earbuds, which he said typically uses as he falls asleep.Read:Can COVID-19 vaccines be mixed and matched?
Gauthier’s son suggested that perhaps his father had swallowed the earbud, which is exactly what an X-ray at a local emergency room revealed. The small plastic device was lodged in his lower esophagus.
Doctors removed the earbud during an emergency endoscopy. Gauthier said he never experienced more than minor discomfort. Still, he cautioned others not to sleep with their headphones because “you never know where they’ll end up.”
“It never occurred to me that (sleeping with headphones) could be a safety hazard. I was really quite lucky,” Gauthier told WWLP-TV.Read:UK to impose local virus rules after tussle with mayor
Gadgets: Wireless is the hot earbud these days—with good reason
© 2021 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed without permission.Read:A new mom, she expected breastfeeding to be a sweet experience. Yet every time she nursed, she was hit with sudden terror or sadness.
Music to my fears: Man swallows earbud while sleeping (2021, February 6)
retrieved 6 February 2021
This document is subject to copyright. Apart from any fair dealing for the purpose of private study or research, no
part may be reproduced without the written permission. The content is provided for information purposes only.